For students

If you are interested in studying the topics covered on this website further, here are some suggestions:

Undergraduate Level

At undergraduate level the kinds of degrees that would be of relevance are generally those in the social sciences or cultural studies. Full degree courses in relationships or sexuality are unusual, but you might find modules on such topics in a sociology, psychology, media/cultural/film studies, philosophy, or health degree. Degrees in gender studies are very likely to cover the kinds of topics and theories covered here in more depth.

If you are interested in a career in counselling or psychotherapy you can study a foundation degree or degree explicitly in this topic. A good starting point is a basic introductory course at a local further education college and/or one of the modules on counselling provided through the Open University, which I teach on.

Postgraduate Level

If you are interested in engaging academically with these topics beyond undergraduate level there are several masters courses on aspects of gender and sexuality which would be a great place to start. An internet search will help to find these. In the UK, for example, you might want to check out the Gender Institute at LSE, the Gender, Media and Culture MA at Goldsmiths, the Centre for the Study of Sexual Dissidence at Sussex or the MA in Gender, Sexuality and Culture at Manchester University.

An alternative to this is to take a PhD whereby you focus on your own specific area of study and produce a 80,000-100,000 word dissertation on the topic. If you are interested in undertaking a research PhD it is often useful to get a masters in research methods (of a relevant kind) prior to starting. The best thing to do is to find which academics are working in the area that you want to study and to contact them directly to get their advice on how to proceed and to see whether they might be interested in supervising you.

If you’re keen to become a professional sex and/or relationship therapist then there are two main routes. You can take a general degree/masters/doctorate in counselling, psychotherapy or counselling psychology and then ensure that your training practice is in this area (see BACP, UKCP and BPS websites for UK courses). Alternatively you can take an accredited course in sex and/or relationship therapy (see COSRT website for details).