All media enquiries for me personally need to go through the Open University media relations office.
These are the conditions under which I may be able to help with TV/radio programmes as a consultant and/or appearing on a programme:
- It’s important that you provide me with enough information to make an informed decision: about the thinking behind the programme, who else will be involved, and others you’ve made. If the programme relates to gender or sexually marginalised people, please be clear why you think it is a relevant/important topic and assure me that you’ll follow the Trans Media Watch guidelines.
- Please state what you’re offering in terms of payment for my time/expertise.
- I’ll need enough time to chat with you and others involved beforehand and do any necessary preparation – at least a couple of months between first contact and recording given my other commitments.
- I’ll want a contract including editorial control (to see the final programme and be able to approve or ask for changes). I’ll also want any potentially vulnerably participants in the programme to have the same rights.
Please note that while I may be able to help with general topics around love, sex, gender, relationships and therapy if contacted through these routes, I can’t help with the following:
- Accessing therapeutic clients or participants from gender, sexual, or relationship diverse communities to take part in interviews or documentaries,
- Conducting therapy or psychological diagnosis or assessment on television/radio (and no psychotherapist, counsellor or psychologist should ethically offer this)
- Commenting directly on celebrities,
- Providing my personal experience,
- Topics which are outside my areas of expertise.
Hopefully the posts and resources on this site will answer some of your questions.