In advance of our new book, How to Understand Your Relationships (last book in our How to Understand Your… series), Alex Iantaffi and I recently spoke about trauma patterns in relationships with Jaï Bristow for the Trauma Super Conference.
In our conversation, we cover:
- Why traumatic dynamics arise in relationships,
- The role of both cultural trauma and developmental trauma in our relational patterns and dynamics,
- How our responses to traumatic/traumatising relationships can risk furthering the problem and how we might respond differently,
- How important it is to broaden out our understanding of relationships, to consider traumatic dynamics that show up in all kinds of relationships, not just intimate partnerships, and
- How plural understandings of selves, and somatic approaches, can be helpful in addressing traumatic/traumatising relationships.
Or wait for the book which should be out later this year.
Meanwhile, here’s a zine which introduces some of these ideas around relationship struggles.